At it again

It may be hard to start anew, but we often forget the lessons of the past and are thus allowed to move forward with more rewarding mistakes. I am "at it again" writing this blog, which begins in in December because I accidently erased it. I am "at it again" living abroad because I I erased from my memory the continous miscommunication and confusion of it. Luckly you can sit back in the comforts of your native language and culture and enjoy my adventures, hopefully with a laugh or snicker.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Weights lifted

This week has felt really good. There has been a lot of movement and weight lifted. To start, we've decided to just let Bonnie the wedding planner do the official part of the wedding. I was tired of not getting responses from her and not feeling like she was doing what she had said she would. So we're doing the hotel and dinner part on our own. We may or may not have her photographer and florist. It's really more convenient. Now instead of having to relay thing through Bonnie I can write to hotels directly and ask them if they have room for our group and about details like if they an elevator for Colin's grandmother.

I'm actually not thinking about that now because I'm back in Yilan visiting. I didn't realize it until we got here, but I really needed to get out of the city. The second we got out of the mess of ill conceived buildings that is Taipei I felt a weight lifted. Space, sky, green. For a girl who wants to make buildings I certainly like places without them. Colin and I went with one co-teacher, Kirsty, and her husband up to Taipingshan on Sunday. It was a very Taiwanese trip, lots of driving and stopping, but not stopping for very long. It was beautiful, and the first real escape from the heat I've had all summer. I was even cold at points. It was also so quiet. I forgot it could be so quiet. We got to one place on a little hike and if the four of us didn't talk or move you didn't hear anything but the occasional bird.

Now I'm at Roxanna's house, my other co-teacher, hanging out with her and her family. She has these adorable little boys. One just came up to tell me that we are having pizza now. He described the pizza and I asked now? Because I hadn't heard the door or anything. I went downstairs to discover that the pizza store had just been called, but he thought I should know. I'm glad I came down because it reminds me that I do have real friends here that are not just situation based like I would have eventually come to think.

tomorrow, Julianna and I will give a speech to the new Fulbrighters. That is also a bit of a relief, passing the torch as you will. I had a good time this past year, but I've been reminded of the bureaucracy and problems and miscommunication that they will just be beginning to experience and I'm glad that they are doing it and not me.

Also got our Taiwanese wedding photos, will post when I get home.