At it again

It may be hard to start anew, but we often forget the lessons of the past and are thus allowed to move forward with more rewarding mistakes. I am "at it again" writing this blog, which begins in in December because I accidently erased it. I am "at it again" living abroad because I I erased from my memory the continous miscommunication and confusion of it. Luckly you can sit back in the comforts of your native language and culture and enjoy my adventures, hopefully with a laugh or snicker.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

About people and why I love them

Now that almost everyone has left, I think it would be a good time to reflect upon the Fulbrihgters I spent a year with. Though we spanned personalities and interests, they are all amazing and talented human beings.

Priya- Priya has the energy of 20 of me and she uses all of it productively. I was amazed this year at the confidence with which Priya made connections with local people in Taiwan and made herself a part of the community. When I could get her to slow down enough to chat or when I sped up to meet her by going running with her she always had interesting things to say and I left considering her point of view.

Mary- Mary has nearly as much energy as Priya. I would describe her as bubbly, but not in an airy way. She was always happy to be doing the things she was doing and does her best to make you happy about them too. It's a shame that a 30 minute scooter ride deters me from solidifying friendships.

Julianna- I like Julianna because she surprises me. She came from the most "American" background of all of us- daughter of a preacher and part of a family of 7 in the Midwest and education major at Northeastern. Yet, she said the darnest things and often shed and interesting light on situations. She too got a million things done.

Melanie- Melanie and I probably will never be close, we are headed in different directions, yet I always found her even and fair in her opinions and enjoyed her look at life, though it was remarkably different from mine. She is thoughtful and honest, most of all about herself, which I think is a rare trait.

Josh- As the only male, 10 years older than us, Josh was in an unusual position, but then again he is an unusual guy. Josh became friends with my apartment, but you were never sure what that meant, would he ask for fruit and leave, or bring everyone flowers. He was snotty and made lots of sarcastic jokes, but he took the ones thrown back at him in stride. He was bound to say something different from everyone else and remembers a time before the internet.

Katherine- our paths will cross again, I'm sure of it. Katherine was incredibly sweet, but drove after those things she wanted. She is one of those people you could never be mad at. I didn't spend enough time with her, I wish we could have walked though the hills of Datong together. Katherine always got me talking about the art world and somehow scaring and reassuring both myself and her. Katherine, stop worrying, it will all work out.

Fiona- Fiona is the most selfless person I know. She choose to go to nanao this year because she felt that they needed her. She didn't consider her personal desires and needs at all. She has a strong sense of social responsiblitiy and reminded the rest of us of it. Fiona worked on school projects all the time. I was constantly telling her to work when she go paid, but she drove on. She has been a good couch fixture. I hope you don't have TB Fiona.

Katie- Katie wasn't the easiest person to live with, but she wasn't having the easiest time in Taiwan. I appreciate the way she approached her problems, with a reflective mind that was willing to place blame on herself if she should find is and was not easily angered by the world's unfairness. I was amazed at the way Katie decided that if one part of life wasn't going well, she should pursue and build another part and thus developed more close friendships than I could have imagined. I have grown used to the soft San Francisco exterior coating the hard New Yorker wearing the hot pants. When we had our last dinner together, just Katie, Colin and I couldn't help but think how glad I will be to find Katie my friend back in the states.

Annalily- In many ways Annalily and I are very similar. When she says something out of the blue and everyone gave her that look of huh? I thought we must have had our brains built by the same unit. Annalily is very soft and loving. She is very sensitive to the world and engages it with delicacy. As I grew closer to Annalily I saw how she often wanted things her way, but one could almost never bare to not give them to here. She stays by her beliefs fervently.

Catherine- I am so glad that Catherine and I have come back around to each other. She is probably the person I enjoy talking to the most. She is willing to laugh out loud at the crudest or meanest jokes, but stands by her friends. Catherine was never willing to do what she didn't want to do and would tell you point blank why she didn't like something, even if it was the food you were eating. Catherine and I were able to sit hours listening to each other. Catherine accepts the things she has to deal with with a laugh and drives forward, but playfully. She has the mind of a linguist and I think together we would make the perfect academic.