At it again

It may be hard to start anew, but we often forget the lessons of the past and are thus allowed to move forward with more rewarding mistakes. I am "at it again" writing this blog, which begins in in December because I accidently erased it. I am "at it again" living abroad because I I erased from my memory the continous miscommunication and confusion of it. Luckly you can sit back in the comforts of your native language and culture and enjoy my adventures, hopefully with a laugh or snicker.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

3rd grade rocks

I love the third grade. It is an awesome age mid way into logical development where actions make sense only in the 3rd grade logic. They are more articulate than younger children and more precocious so you know what they are thinking, but they are not yet self-conscious and on their way to puberty.

We had a test in my third grade yesterday and as I collected the tests and imputed them into the computer, I couldn't find one. I asked the student and eventually a folded up test came out of his pencil box. My co-teacher sought and explanation and discovered the logic. He wanted to get 100% on the test, when he realized he couldn't, he decided just not to turn it in. Hum.

At my co-school we played a game where all the kids had to cover their eyes while I choose one student. In one class many peeked and my co-teacher gave them a lecture. On student said "Wo tou kan bu dao"- I didn't see any thing. To which my co-teacher responded "Ni tou kan bu dao haishi ni bu tou kan. Bu yiyang"- Basically you didn't see or you didn't look, they're not the same. But in the 3rd grade mind no seeing seems a reasonable excuse for guilt.

In 3rd grade the kids are also still super affectionate. At my co-school, the 3rd grades yell my name at every turn. I look to see what is wrong and I get a big smile and hello. No matter that is all they can manage to say. At my home school the girls always want to give me hugs and hold my hand. We went on a field trip yesterday and I had girls vying for each of my fingers. Plus, they wanted me to sit with them and insisted that I play rock paper scissors again and again, a game, by the way, that has lots of variations and can predict age, number of boyfriends and comes with lots of songs. Who knew.