At it again

It may be hard to start anew, but we often forget the lessons of the past and are thus allowed to move forward with more rewarding mistakes. I am "at it again" writing this blog, which begins in in December because I accidently erased it. I am "at it again" living abroad because I I erased from my memory the continous miscommunication and confusion of it. Luckly you can sit back in the comforts of your native language and culture and enjoy my adventures, hopefully with a laugh or snicker.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

The intricacies of English

In some ways I'm very lucky that I primarily teach Elementary school students because they don't ask the same sorts of trivial yet curious questions as adults. I've begun to think that if I were to get the answer in an interview "What is your shortcoming" I would have to answer that I'm not a detail person. I don't care enough if all the corners are trimmed up nicely or if all the margins are imperfect order. Along the same note, I don't really care in speaking a foreign language if I say notebook when what I mean is binder. This later fact may actually be because I couldn't really tell you why a notebook is different from a binder. This proves difficult when someone learning English wants to know the difference between different things. I just had a conversation with two not so great English speakers about what different types of towels are called. The kind you use at a pool- a beach towel? Is a beach towel just bigger or must it be used at the beach. Then what is a small bathroom towel? A hand towel? That was my first response, but as the conversation continued I became less and less sure. I do no that a small towel is a washcloths, but if you carry it in your pocket does it become a hankirchif? These are the types of befuddling questions I have to ask myself when I am addressed as the expert on the English language. This is a problem. I don't know about the English language, I just know it. I've spent a day puzzling the difference between a drawer a cupboard a cabinet and a closet and several lunches discussing the difference between tangerine and oranges (in a country where both can be green, tangerines are often larger than oranges).