At it again

It may be hard to start anew, but we often forget the lessons of the past and are thus allowed to move forward with more rewarding mistakes. I am "at it again" writing this blog, which begins in in December because I accidently erased it. I am "at it again" living abroad because I I erased from my memory the continous miscommunication and confusion of it. Luckly you can sit back in the comforts of your native language and culture and enjoy my adventures, hopefully with a laugh or snicker.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Academic honesty for 6th graders?

I miss Reed. I miss everything: academic talk, staying in the library until late, planning on staying in the library til late and going to the Hedgehouse instead, all the people. I miss these things all the time, but today I really miss the honor policy and in particular how it is related to academics. I like the idea that teachers can trust students and students can trust their teachers and we can all go about our bussiness of learning. Now, could we make that work in a Taiwanese elementary school. Maybe, but I don't think I'm quite the person to try it.
What brings me to this. Well, we give a lot of tests. More than I think we should or need to, but I'm not really in charge of those types of decisions so I just grade and imput into the computer and not irregularities. I have found cheating and I have a message to elementary students out there. If you plan on cheating on a test, be damn sure the person you are cheating off of is going to get 100 percent otherwise it's pretty easy to tell. I mean, what is the statistical probability that two students, who sit next to each other will both spell bathroom 'bethrum" and forget the 't' in bought. When I was left to my own devices on this matter I asked the two girls in question why their tests looked exactly the same. They said they didn't know, so I docked their points. Another time I brought the issue to my co-teacher. She took the girls out and asked if they had cheated, they said no and she let them go. The question is, is this showing trust in your students or teaching them that if they cheat than they had best cover it up with a lie and get comfortable with that as well. These two incedents, however did not make me particurally long for an academic honesty policy, I just didn't know exactly what to do. Here's what did it.
We gave the 6th grade a vocabulary test today. Many of them often do very poorly on this. I guess it's not that bad, better than a bell curve, but I was unaware as an elementary school student that there were grades lower than a B except on "Saved by the Bell." Anyway, the who class did really well this time, a big plus for my emotional wellbeing (enhanced by having my tutoring canceled) and one boy whose average score is 50 got 100. When I passed back the tests the boys around the new star were jovial, but I couldn't tell if it was in an amazed way or a "damn, you got away with it way." I can't help but be suspicious or at least to wonder what happened with this kid. I don't want to be suspicious and here is where I would like my academic honesty policy, so that I don't have to be suspicious. I never thought how awsome that must be for Reed profs. I suppose I could also conform to the culture I am in, figure cheating is not that big a deal and be happy that the kid did so well.